|Organizers and participants to the contest for the title of the best chemist-technician. First row - specialists from the network sections, center – the winner; second row – management and leading specialists of the Center. 1982|
Stationary network of environmental observations at the Hydro Meteorological Service in Belarus was formed in 1947 when a laboratory of hydrochemistry was set up within the Hydro Meteorological Service of the BSSR, which was transformed in 1964 into the Department for Studying the Chemism of Water, Atmospheric Air and Soil.
The Resolution of the Central Committee of the CPSU and Council of Ministers of the USSR в„– 898 of 29 December 1972 specified the establishment of the All-State Service for the Observation and Control of the pollution level of environmental bodies (ASSOC) by the Directorate of the Hydrometeorological Service at the CM of the USSR. The Service was based on the observation, operational and scientific structures of the State Committee of the USSR for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Pollution Control, Ministry of Health of the USSR and a number of other authorities.
The observation network was considerably reorganized and expanded in 1973. An information group and laboratories of hydrochemistry and atmospheric air were set up within the Department for Studying the Chemism of Water, Atmospheric Air and Soil.
In 1980, the Republican Center for Radiation Control and Environmental Monitoring was formed on the basis of the Department for Studying the Chemism of Water, Atmospheric Air and Soil.
Laboratories of radiometry, spectrometry and radiochemistry, and radiation control department were set up at the RCRCM after the accident at the Chernobyl NPP.